Kavala is a city and port in northern Greece, capital of the Kavala Region. It has been inhabited since prehistoric times and today it still has a lot to offer - ancient structures, Old Town with preserved architecture, beaches and entertainment options.
The city was built on three hills over the old village of Neopolis and the first information about it dates back to 7th century B.C. In the past it was conquered by the Persians, Bulgarians, Romans, Byzantines, Turks and even by the Venetians for a while. Its population increased significantly in 1922 when refugees came from Asia Minor.
The eastern hill next to the port is the Old Town of Kavala which occupies the entire Panagia peninsula. Small, steep streets among the houses lead to an old fortress on the top which is worth to visit for the view as well. In the Old Town is the house-museum of Mehmet (Mohammed) Ali Pasha, who built the largest imaret in Europe in honor of his home town Kavala. Today the imaret works as a hotel with the same name as its original look has been completely preserved, guided tours for non-guests are also allowed in certain days. The archeological museum exhibits artifacts from the ancient city of Amphipolis, a colony of Athens.
Another famous landmark and symbol of the town is the Kamares Medieval Aqueduct, built around 1550 by Suleiman the Magnificent, consisting of 60 arches of various size, as the largest is 52 meters tall.
The western part of the city has modern buildings, squares and shopping centers. There are lots of places to stay and hotels of all categories, but some of them work only in the summer. Kavala is rich in restaurants with fish specialties, bakeries and cafes, particularly along the street.
Kavala has three beaches within the city limits. Rapsani is the smallest of them but the closest to the promenade and center. The other two beaches are located on both ends of the town - Kalamitsa to the south and Perigiali to the north. All beaches are organized with sunbeds and umbrellas provided by beach bars.