Ammouliani is the only inhabited island in the Halkidiki peninsula region, with a population of 600 permanent residents. It is located in the northern gulf between Sithonia and Mount Athos, but it is closer to Mount Athos and can be reached by ferry from Tripiti. The journey takes about 10-15 minutes.
By 1925 the island was owned by the Vatopedi Monastery of Mount Athos, but later it was granted to refugees from Asia Minor who settled there.
Although Ammouliani is an island, there are no strong winds to produce waves. Its area is about 4.5 km, grown with low vegetation and olive plantations. The water is crystal clear and sea life is visible from the surface. There are many small coves with fine sand and a few better-known beaches with restaurants: Alikes, Megali Ammos, Agios Georgios, Karagatsi, Faka, Tsaska and Nissaki.
There is one big hotel complex, the rest are family hotels with studios and rooms to rent, and two camping sites. Ammouliani offers everything tourists need for a comfortable and relaxing holiday - supermarkets, souvenir shops, taverns, fast food and pharmacy, cafes and beach bars. You can rent a bike and tour the island.