Skiathos Town

Skiathos Towngalerie
The only town on Skiathos, which bears the same name as the island, is set on its east seaside. The locals know it also as Chora (already explained that Chora is the Greek word for capital of an island) and almost all the population of Skiathos lives here.

The town hosts the harbor and the airport. Right next to the harbor is the islet with the small Bourtzi fortress on it, connected with the mainland. This fortress was built by the Venetian Gyzi brothers who conquered the island in 1207 and it is similar to the Bourtzi fortress in Nafplio.

Skiathos Town has the typical for the Sporades architecture with white houses, red-tile roofs and blue-painted window covers. The streets are narrow and cobbled, with some small squares scattered around the town. Accommodation is available in rooms to rent in small family-run hotels. There are restaurants and cafes on the promenade.

The longest beach on the island, Megali Ammos (meaning big sand) starts from the south end of Skiathos. There you can find sunbeds, umbrellas and water sports. Hotels are available in the area.

faits saillants: the viggest village and capital of Skiathos island, village en Skiathos, Îles Sporades, Grèce

The promenade at the portApproaching Skiathos townThe portThe old windmillAll aboard the ferry
Emplacement: voir sur la carte

Skiathos Town galerie de photos

x