Ouranoupoli (or Ouranoupolis) is on the border with the independent monastic republic of Agion Oros (Holy Mountain
), Mount Athos
. In Greek the word "ouranoupoli" means "heavenly city". It is mostly known as the place from where ferries with pilgrims depart for the monasteries.
By 1922 the place was owned by the monasteries of Mount Athos, but the monks gave it to refugees from Asia Minor who settled there permanently. A few years ago the place was not very popular but today it is a sought-after destination for tourists not only because of its proximity to the famous monasteries, but also because of the recreation conditions it offers.
The symbol of the village is the old tower of Andronikos, built by the Vatopedi monastery in the 14 century. It is the largest preserved tower in Halkidiki
and after restoration of the latter two levels, it has been turned into a museum. The resort provides all amenities for tourists - hotels and guesthouses, taverns, cafes and shops. Most of the restaurants are concentrated around the port.
Ouranoupoli has several beaches divided into small bays with fine sand and crystal water. The island of Ammouliani
is very close for a daily trip.