Kitta (sometimes written as Koita) is a village on the main road in Mani, Peloponnese
. It is one of the oldest settlements in the region and its history spans back to the times of Homer’s Iliad as one of King Menelaus’ villages. Between 16th and 18th century it was the seat of the powerful Niklianis family. In Kitta happened the last vendetta of Mani, which took place in 1870 and required the intervention of Greek army and navy to stop the hostility.
The area is characterized as one of birthplaces of the Maniot architecture. Here were built one of the first stone towers of South Peloponnese and also one of the tallest (the six-storey tower of Lazarongona) and largest (the towers of Alogakou, Arnaouti and other). Currently some of the stone towers and houses are adapted to suit to the modern way of life but most of the others are either locked or abandoned. There are some regular homes in the village but they are mostly along the main road and away from the historical and densely built village center.
Kitta has a few lodging options and also one supermarket. The place is still undiscovered by tourists and only a handful of foreigners had seen the marvelous examples of Maniot architecture hidden in this village.