Achilleion is the most famous sight on Corfu
and it is included in the program of all organized trips to the island. It is located about 10 km south of the town of Corfu, on the top of the village of Gastouri
. The palace was built in 1890 by Empress Sisi of Austria. The name Achilleion comes from the favorite hero of the empress from Greek mythology - Achilles.
The palace was designed by an Italian architect and the sculptures are by the German sculptor Ernst Herter. The most renowned of them, the Dying Achilles, can be seen in the palace gardens. After empress Sisi`s death, the palace had a few owners and even worked as a casino for a certain period of time but the original furniture and interior have been preserved. The German Kaiser Wilhelm II who owned the place from 1907 to 1914 ordered the sculpture of Victorious Achilles with a height of 8 meters.
Nowadays the palace is managed by the Hellenic Tourist Organization and works as a museum. Part of the building presents the rooms of the empress and her family, and the rest of it manifests antique furniture and pieces of art. The beautiful green garden offers a nice sea view.